A daily journal on the thoughts, events, and happenings within the lives of those found inside Her Majesty's walls.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Well I Guess It Was Fathers Day...


I have been blessed to be home for this Father’s Day weekend and spend some time with my family in the midst of one of my closest friends weddings. During this weekend I encountered a lot of things; unconditional love, a desire to ride a bull, a desire to sell those bulls I ride, a desire to always be in the midst of community, and my unnatural ability to beat my brother Luke in a wrestling match.

But this Sunday is a day for Fathers. A day which unlike mothers day is often over looked. It’s a day committed to fathers, but so many of us have been left, abandoned or burned by our fathers can you really blame them for being slightly apathetic to the idea of celebrated this scarred sect of men?

Throughout my life I can remember days where I have really had an opportunity to sit back and reflect on the blessings the Lord has laid upon me, and today being like any other day was one of them. Today I was thankful, as I am everyday, for my Father.

Growing up I always felt I had to make my father proud, to prove myself for him by getting excellent grades, competing in sports, living a moral lifestyle, and doing things well. I can remember the moment like it was yesterday that my father, at a service at Street invaders when I was nineteen found me in the back of the service and told me he was proud of. “I’ve waited nineteen years to hear those words” I sobbed to him. My father for me is a man I am so proud to know and honored to share in his family. He never had a father to teach him the ways of fathering, so he is in some ways flying by the seat of his pants. I love the fact that he is learning on the fly and is not afraid to admit when he makes mistakes. I love that fact that his occupation, Executive Director of Apostolic youth Ministries, gives him the opportunity to be a father to so much more. I love that fact that he is always looking out for me, reads my blogs without letting me know, and prays for me on a daily basis.

I want to thank you, Lawrence Elwood Moore, for your constant input, leadership, guidance, support, and love in my life. I am truly honored to call myself your son, and I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life wearing that title proudly. You are a wonderful man of the Lord and if it wasn’t for your example day in and day out of how to live my life for the Lord, I would not be who I am in this moment, and I will not be who I become in the future, for our Fathers glory. Thanks dad.

4 comments:

Scott said...

I will echo the same tribute to Papa Moore. As an old time AYMer, Larry laid a licken to my wayward ways, and set me on the straight and narrow.

Thanks Larry- I am proud of you.

doxasky said...

That was great Greg. I hope so many others can find the heart and words to be truly thankful to and for their fathers (and their Father).

Meryl said...

greg you're right, father's day is so overlooked. I tend to... i know i don't have a father - but i do have so many father figures in my life, I need to realize how blessed i am to have them.. and greg, through you my eyes have been opened to embrace my (f)Father(s)...

Ash-Am said...

Hey a couple of things:

You are very eloquent and I really appreciate the things you write. You should write a book--I would read it.

Also, when I was hanging out with Amy in Calgary last week we were talking about you, and I was reminded again that you are one of the nicest people I have ever known.

God bless you Greg...you inspire me.

~Ashley