A daily journal on the thoughts, events, and happenings within the lives of those found inside Her Majesty's walls.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Learning to Love Heartbreak…


This summer on the Admissions team for FGBC has been such a wonderful opportunity. I have been placed on a team with a lot of loving people, all whom share the same heart for the college. It has been exciting to watch each of us walk through our unique journeys and be there to help each other out during the times when it is deemed necessary.

The Lord is good seems to be the phrase on my heart for this season, He seems to be revealing to me how He provided for all my needs and more. It can be at time very humbling to watch as my Father takes care of my not only my needs but often my desires. I find myself in prayer more often than ever before because He has taken me to a place of intimacy where He is my strength, my source, my identity.

Very recently though I have been faced with a situation I would a first glance choose to avoid; heartbreak. This idea was shoved into my face a little while back when I was hit with the realization that I would have to leave this college someday. The shock was overwhelming as I thought and pondered all the opportunities and relationships I would be missing out on. It was oh so frustrating as I felt that the Lord was taking me away from those desires I know He placed in my heart.

Thankfully for me the confusion was there only a brief moment as I had wisdom placed before me by my father. “Greg, you put you heart into everything you do so when the Lord takes you away from the current place you are in it’s going to hurt. This is a good thing because it shows you care. But don’t dwell on the fact that your heart is broken and things are shifting and changing, dwell on the fact that the Lord is taking you into the even greater things He has planned for you.”

These words made sense to me and helped calmed my heart as it had began to race into the unknown. He’s in control and in order to move me into the next plans He has for me I’ll have to walk through that heartbreak. It’s a common theme in my life now that I have the perspective needed to view it. And even though it still hurts and brings floods to my eyes and aches to my heart, I’m blessed with the fact that this is a good thing, and that I’m being prepared for the next leg of my journey. This is how I’m learning to love heartbreak.

6 comments:

Ash-Am said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear today. I'm still trying to get excited about Winnipeg while being faced with the reality of having to leave LifeForce. Argh. Thanks for this post Greg. It's really spoken to my broken-heartedness.

~Ashley

Ashley said...

Coming to the realization that I won't be at FGBC next year with the people I've grown so close with and have come to trust so deeply, and having to go to a place that seems so unfamiliar to me now two years down the road was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Thank for sharing this wisdom, it was what I needed to hear. I know that God's plan for my life far exceeds what I will ever imagine, and so here I am trusting......

doxasky said...

Thanks Greg. And thanks to your father. I had lost sight of this "new journey" in my own life, but I am now encouraged once again to seek and hope for what the Lord has for me. Blessings.

Ash-Am said...

Wow! awesome blog Greg!

I heard a Christian song on the radio the other day and the lyrics said, "He [God] gave me a heart that's unbreakable..." And that song made me so sad, because having a heart that doesn't break isn't a good thing at all!

Having a heart that is soft enough to break is definately something that is worth fighting for!!
-AMBER

Meryl said...

greg you really are quite the guy. thank you for your heart

Anonymous said...

Greg I love your thoughts and I love you even more. I hope that you have lots of heart break only because that would mean that you're going to many different places, and pouring into so many different people. It's what you offer to people that makes them flock to you; you're unrelenting love and your non-judgemental attitude I love you Greg I want you to know that thanks for everything you have ever done for me and I thank you for always being there, looking forward to seeing you soon. God will never put you somewhere that you won't be able to handle with Him.
-Hug me man, squeeze tighter